Annoucements 11/12

Native Americans have had to fight to overcome invisibility in the field of literature. Though story telling has been a part of their culture for 1000’s of years. The first Native American poet laureate in U.S. history, Joy Harjo has won acclaim for collections like In Mad Love and War and Secrets From the Center of the WorldHarjo has a diverse background, and she’s been an enrolled member of the Muscogee tribe since age 19. She’s been writing since 1973, and her work confronts and dismantles long-held stereotypes around Indigenous people. “A lot of images [of Native Americans] are based on fairy tales or Wild West shows. We are human beings, not just people who have been created for people’s fantasy worlds. There’s not just one Native American,” she told Time. “We’re diverse by community, by land, by language, by culture.

Attention HOSA members, our next meeting is this coming Monday at 2:15 in Mrs. Watts class, room 204. Do you like to argue or want to work on your public speaking skills? Come to an informational meeting about Speech & Debate today after school in Ms. Shewey’s room, 210B.

International Club is doing a presentation on Vietnam, today at 2:25 in room 250D.   Come learn about their history, culture, people and taste some of their yummy food. We hope to see you there.

Black Student Union is back in action and will be meeting every Thursday in the Career Center at 2:20pm

Asian Student Union is a club for anyone who’s eager to learn more about specific Asian countries’ cultures, their cuisines, their festivals, and practices, with a new region in mind every gathering! We’ll be meeting in the Little Theatre every third Tuesday of the month at 2:15pm. Our second meeting is on November 16th, feel free to give us a visit!

Girls Who Code will be meeting today in Ms. Medina’s room at 2:15pm. This week, we’ll continue working on Python! Despite the name, we are not limited to girls, any and all skill levels are welcome to join!

Purchase your yearbook before Dec 31 and be invited to an unboxing event after school with pizza and be one of the first to get your yearbook before anyone else in the school. Yearbooks are $55 and can be purchased at ASB or online. More information is available on the yearbook Instagram @lhseagles_year.

Calling all sophomores who are interested in the summer search program and maybe looking for additional information about what summer search can offer! On November 12th at 11am (during lunch) Summer Search will be hosting an Application work party in the career center for students interested in the program. And, if you’ve already started the application process there will be special treats in return; but if you’ve already completed your application you will be rewarded with a prize from the summer search team. For more information on this event stop by the Career center to speak with Mr. Blair-Kimber.

WINTER SPORTS START ON MONDAY 11/15. PLEASE LISTEN CLOSELY TO THE TIMES YOUR TEAM WILL PRACTICE. BOYS BASKETBALL WILL BE IN THE MAIN GYM FROM 2:15-4:30. GIRLS BASKETBALL WILL BE IN THE MAIN GYM FROM 4:30-7 CHEER WILL BE IN THE LOWER GYM FROM 2:30-4:30 and WRESTLING WILL BE IN THE LOWER GYM FROM 4:30-7. It is not too late to sign up for Winter season if you have any questions please reach out to Ms. Rhodes in the Main office.