COVID cases on the rise at LHS

Dimmitt Middle School returns to mask mandates.

Egalitarian Staff

Weeks went by without a single case of COVID-19 on campus. However since spring break, the school has seen 29 positives cases, including four staff. Bring the total cases to 259 since the beginning of the school year. The rise in cases is not alarming verses the case increase at Dimmitt Middle School on the West Hill. They have seen 38 total cases for a school of 645 students for roughly 5.9% of the total student body. The total cases at Lindbergh is 2.1% of the total student body.

Despite the rise in cases, district officials stated on April 27  “per the strong recommendation, we are moving to require universal masking of all students and staff at Dimmitt Middle School on the West Hill. The email also stated no other schools were included in the action being taken at Dimmitt.”

Looking around campus, students are still wearing masks, less and less every week. Its believed these cases external and not a school spread like he saw in December and January.

The mask mandate was lifted on March 12 in King County and March 14 in Renton Schools.

Seattle King County Health says on its website “keep taking steps to protect yourself and the community. Get a booster shot when you become eligible, vaccinate yourself and your family, wear masks where required and gather in places with good ventilation. These measures will help continue lowering the spread of coronavirus and keep us safer.”

For more information on COVID-19 you can visit Seattle-King County Public Health and the Renton School District COVID19 Dashboard.