DISTRICT EMAIL – Returning to school Monday morning

Did your child test positive for COVID during winter break?

Renton Schools

The following is an email sent to families today as we return from winter break:

Renton School District Families,

We’re looking forward to welcoming all students back to school Monday, January 3, 2022.

With the end of Winter Break, we want to provide you with the most updated information as well as recommendations related to COVID-19:

• When should I keep my student home from school?

• Please keep your student home when they are exhibiting any COVID symptoms  (e.g., fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea). When there are symptoms, please contact your student’s school and arrange for testing (see below).

• What do I do if my student tested positive during winter break?

• Keep your student at home during their isolation period. Please notify your student’s school regarding any absence from school.

• Public Health – Seattle & King County notified us last week that school districts are to continue to follow existing Washington State Department of Health (DOH) guidance of a 10-day isolation period for those who test positive. We will provide updates regarding any changes as soon as we are notified by PHSKC or DOH.

• How can my student get tested for COVID?

• Testing at School:  We understand that many families want their students to take a COVID test before returning to school and are having great difficulty locating tests in the community. Renton School District has both rapid antigen and PCR COVID test kits. We will receive a substantial amount of additional rapid antigen tests from the Department of Health early this week in order to support increased testing needs. Testing priorities continue to be testing staff and students who are symptomatic or who are close contacts, and athletes as required by DOH.  As test kit availability increases and the testing program grows, more testing will be offered for staff and students. Please contact your student’s school to schedule a test.

• Where else can I get tested?

• How can I complete the Universal Testing Consent form? 

• Please take a moment to complete the testing consent form in Skyward Family Access for your students. This facilitates testing if your student has symptoms or is a close contact.

• What about masks?

• What do I do if I want to get my student vaccinated?

• You can use the Department of Health vaccine locator to schedule an appointment. Additionally, RSD is continuing to partner with DOH and health providers to set up additional vaccination opportunities. Information will be shared in the near future about the upcoming pop-up clinic events.

We look forward to welcoming back our students tomorrow morning, Monday, January 3! Thank you for your continued partnership in support of the health and well being of our students and community.

Renton School DistrictWebsite | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter