Japanese program to continue; despite social media rumors

Isaiah Becerra/Aery Yearbook

The Japanese Program under the direction of Hiromi Sensei Weir will continued after a rash of social media posts about its elimination for American Sign Language was communicated.

UPDATE 4/28 – Sensei Weir sent an email to the Egalitarian stating “it’s great that Principal Caudle has decided not to eliminate the Japanese program.” She declined to comment on her future plans.

(Original story) – After a week-long tussle between Japanese students in Hiromi Sensei Weir’s classes and Principal Thomas Caudle regarding the alleged removal of the Japanese program to be replaced by American Sign Language (ASL).

Principal Caudle released a statement via email to students:
APRIL 25TH, 2022 3:43PM
“Hello Eagles, some of you have heard rumors that I am cutting the Japanese language program for next school year. That is not true. The full Japanese language program will continue to be offered at Lindbergh High.”
The decision was met with celebration by many in the Japanese program.

The alleged rumor initially arose after homerooms took part in the “ASL Interest Survey” on April 18. Japanese students were told by Sensei Weir that saying ‘yes’ to the survey would mean Japanese would be eliminated. Tensions grew as students took to social media blasting Principal Caudle for his actions even stating his motivation was racist. Students and parents also emailed district officials to defend the Japanese Program. A Change.org petition was started by alumni Aleyna Yamaguchi who took the class from Sensei Weir 10 years ago. Nearly 1450 people signed the petition as of Wednesday morning. Japanese is only offered at Lindbergh and has grown its partnership with Mitaka Secondary School in Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan to provide opportunities for both schools to visit and learn about each other’s culture. The city of Renton’s Japanese sister city of Nishiwaki, Japan was established in 1969, the middle schools offer a week-long visit.

The following rumors were fact-checked by Egalitarian staff and many were found to be untrue:

• “The French program was tied to the possible elimination of Japanese as well.” FALSE
  • “American Sign Language would replace Japanese.” FALSE- (ASL is a Career and Technical Education program and has no impact on staffing in the Foreign Language Department as its two different funding sources).
  • “Sensei Weir was going to be fired for taking on administration.” FALSE- She submitted her retirement paper but rescinded it. If any action were to be true, the district Human Resources and the teachers union would not comment on employee status.
  • “American Sign Language will be offered.” TRUE- The last survey showed more than 175 students with interest in the program and would be offered in the course category.

(Mindi Overholt contributed to this story)