Superintendent Response to Uvalde Shooting

Dr. Damien Pattenaude sends a letter to family and friends.

David Nelson

The email below was sent to family and staff around 6:30AM:

Renton School District Families, Staff, and Community Partners,

Our hearts go out to the families, students, staff, and community of Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas who are mourning in the aftermath of yet another school shooting.

Tragic incidents such as these can be upsetting and unsettling for students, families, and staff. Unanswered questions, frustration, and heartache fill our days due to such a senseless act. This may also spark anxiety about the safety at our schools.

The Board of Directors and I want you to know that the Renton School District works hard every day to keep students safe. We have thoughtful and specific measures in place for the safety of all students and staff across the district. Furthermore, we are continuously working to improve those measures as we partner with local law enforcement agencies and other organizations. Simply put, safety is a top priority and we are committed to keeping our schools safe, welcoming places for all students and staff to learn and thrive.

We have had several families reach out to us seeking help for how they might support their child during this difficult time. Here are some ideas for families to consider:

• Parents and adults need to first acknowledge and assess their own response to crisis and stress.
  • Try to keep routines as normal as possible. Children gain security from the predictability of routine, including sending them to school.
  • Limit exposure to television and the news.
  • Be honest with kids and share with them as much information as they are developmentally able to handle.
  • Listen to kids’ fears and concerns.

Here are two additional resources that may be helpful:

For our students 13 and older, please remember they can access TalkSpace free of charge at www.talkspace.com/rsd using their school district email address to be matched with a mental health therapist.

If your student needs extra support, please contact your principal or school counselor.

Thank you for your continued support as we work together to keep our schools safe places for learning.

Sincerely,

Damien Pattenaude, Superintendent